10 gallon batch.
Today 1/6/2019 we brewed a Norwegian Farmhouse Ale – but not using any traditional means, just a farmhouse grain stack with yeast – Imperial Yeast A43 Loki.
I will brew this again in the future using the Juniper branches in the more traditional way, but for now – we will go with a more modern recipe.
Speaking with the brew store employee, he just brewed something like that with the Loki yeast and recommended fermenting at 90F – so we used the Beeruino to control temperature at 90F and Log the fermentation (plot posted later).
We employed a step mash starting at 141 F for 90 minutes and slowly moving to target temp of 153F using a recirculating pump and a PID electric heater setup. This is a linear process but one way up, you never want to start at a too high of a temperature, as it would denature the enzymes and poop your beer.
- 21 lb Belgian Pilsner
- 1 lb Skagit Vienna (locally sourced grain)
- 1 lb Munich
- 1 lb Caramunich 60 Love
- 1 lb flaked Oakts – fyi: we put it into the mash from the start, but if you don’t have a good strong pump that can pull, you might get a stuck mash starting at a lower temp like we did at 141 F – you can add it towards the end of the mash once your temperatures are higher…
R Code below… with Plot.
temp = c(141,147,151,153,153,153,153)
time = c(0,15,30,45,60,75,90)
plot(time,temp, type =”o”)
- 2 ounces of UK Golding Hops – start of boil
- 1 ounce Styrian – 5 minutes to end of boil
Imperial Yeast Loki A43
More Update later – including looking into the more traditional brew.
Links to some YouTube traditional brews: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=norwegian+farmhouse+ale
OG was 1.046, FG ended up at 1.010 – 4.7%
but wait there is more… 🙂
We added back 6 gallons of water into the spent grant and kept going for a 2nd running, this is something new that I decided to do, the beer will be lower ABV, but I was ok with that.
For this one I have the freedom to use different hops, used 2 ounces of whole hops of 50/50 mix (Chinook, Cascade #homegrown) at start of boil and 70 grams of Saaz at 5 minutes to end of boil, shooting for a 5 gallon batch on this – so more hops here…
And for the yeast I used a Wild yeast that I have collected in the summer time off of raspberries, so this will not be a Norwegian Farmhouse, but more like a Wild Raspberries Farmhouse – just a creation that I’ve decided last minute and geek out on this brew day!
I named the wild yeast culture RAYRAS 01 – collected in August 2018. It looked good and smelled really good of fruit esters when a test was done, so we will see if this is any good or maybe I will get a surprise and get some nice wild sour, bottom line I expect an efficient yeast even with a 2nd running, it might end up close to the first because of the efficiencies of the yeast. TBD…
This yeast is not pure yet, it is a culture – meaning a mix of yeast and other things…
The Wild Farmhouse Ale – came out great so far, ABV was low 3% because I ran the water on the 2nd runnings – you could mix in some DME to bump that up, I didn’t on this test, as I wasn’t sure if the yeast would work out and it did!
Pictures tell a thousand words:
This is the yeast that was added in, collected from Raspberries, that’s why the color in the sample.